Knee pain or kneecap pain is one of the most dangerous things in the health life of a person. Basically, it is a pain in the base of supporting organ. Your knee serves as a supporting agent in order to provide stability and assistance while moving. Let’s have a generation discussion which will help to understand the myths about kneecap pain.
- 1 General knowledge about knee pain
- 2 Causes of knee pain:
- 2.1 a. Bursitis:
- 2.2 b. Iliotibial band syndrome:
- 2.3 c. Osgood-Schlatter Disease:
- 2.4 d. Osteoarthritis:
- 2.5 e. Dislocated kneecap:
- 2.6 f. Patellofemoral pain syndrome:
- 2.7 g. Patellar tendonitis:
- 2.8 h. Tendinitis:
- 2.9 i. Gout:
- 2.10 j. Baker’s cyst:
- 2.11 k. Rheumatoid arthritis:
- 2.12 l. Meniscus Tears:
- 2.13 m. Bone Tumor:
- 3 Elements that make knee pain more dangerous:
- 4 How to diagnose knee pain?
- 5 What to do after diagnosis?
- 6 Treatments for knee pain:
- 7 How to avoid knee pain?
General knowledge about knee pain
Human body has a skeleton which helps to gain stability. It maintains the shape and structure of body while giving it support to move. As a matter of fact, the skeleton has different parts and each part is connected with other with the help of a joint. This joint has further two types. First type is called muscle joint while second is called bone joint. The bone joints are important because of the supporting role they play to keep the skeleton connected. On the other hand, the muscle joints are also important for the strength they provide to bones and body structure.
Knee is among the biggest joint or connecting points in the body. It is present in the base or lower portion of the body. Knee is the second lower joint after the pelvic or hip joints. It means that it is an intermediate point which provides stability to the hip joints and bones. Pain in knee happens in the body if the ankles and feet don’t support it. Definitely, knee joints also need support and they get it from the ankles and feet.
You might have seen people with inner knee pain or chronic knee pain. Have you ever noticed the things causing inside knee pain? There is a need to understand the important things related to this topic. Remember, more than 30 % people in United States of America face this problem in the age of 30. Athletes, sportsmen, runners and jumpers also face this health issue because of several reasons.
Do you feel knee pain when bending? This is the first thing most of the people feel when they have it issue. As a matter of fact, this pain is considered a long term pain because of the high persistency. This could be general swelling as well as sensitivity in left or right knee. The pain could start in one or both knees. Pain which persists for longer is termed as Chronic Pain. However, pain you suffer just because of an accident for short term is usually called Temporary knee pain.
In most of the cases, this pain is chronic in nature. People who face this pain always spend time struggling with it. There is a need to make quick actions after having the first symptom of knee pain. Immediately visit your doctor, chiropractor or orthopedic in order to have a detail checkup. This will help you to understand the reasons, symptoms and causes of knee pain. Let’s see the importance and severity of this pain.
Importance and severity:
Remember, there are so many types of pain on inside of knee. Each type has its own functions and features. According to the orthopedics and chiropractors, the knee pain has different types or stages. Some the important terms are given here.
- Knee joint pain.
- Pain on inside of knee.
- Pain under knee cap.
- Anterior knee pain.
- Knee pain and swelling.
As mentioned above, 30 % of the Americans have this issue. It means that this pain or health issue is a serious problem. It is dominant and considered a serious threat to health factor. Nowadays, the medical experts are keeping regular records of patients who visit them for this issue. The basic purpose of this record collection is to monitor the spread and severity of the knee pain in the country. This also helps to encourage the researchers to find the causes and reasons behind the quick spread.
Recent surveys suggest that knee pain or knee joint pain issue is very common in USA. It is about one third of reasons why people visit to doctor in this country. This is about general public. On the other hand, there are certified reports that athletes endure this issue every year. Scientific studies have confirmed this statement. In a latest study, the researcher has shown that over half of the sportsman or athletes face the pain in joint of knee in life. The biggest or most interesting fact is that this pain is always chronic and severe causing permanent disability to participate in sports activities.
On the other hand, the injuries to knee are also responsible for the poor performance in games and sports. Runners usually face more problems when they have knee pain after running. They depend on the knee joints while running so it is very important for them to take care of the knee status and health. Similarly, the jumpers and weightlifters are common victims of this health issue.
Who gets knee pain and in what age?
We have discussed some information about the cases of the pain in back of knee. Normally, it happens in athletes. However, it could be a heredity problem. Both cases are prominent and are among the potential cause of pain. It has been observed that people with a family background or history of pain in the knee joints are difficult to handle. They can face the issue in any age. There is no limit or restriction of age factor. Pain in joints of knee may appear in any phase of life but it is more common after 30’s.
Causes of knee pain:
Understanding the causes of this pain is a tool to determine the better solution. As a matter of fact, information or detail about the health issues is commonly considered beneficial to find the effective treatments and solutions. Pain under the knee cap or pain behind the knee seems early symptoms but it is necessary to focus on the reasons creating this health issue in the body. Recently, the experts have discovered icd 9 code for knee pain. Here are some potential causes as explained by the medical experts.
It is a liquid sac present below our skin. It covers the joints and acts as an intermediate layer between knee joint and skin. The Bursitis is also called Bursa which means repetition. What causes bursitis? Actually, this health problem appears in the knee after an overuse. Sudden shock, a fall, continuous kneeling and repeated bending are some other reasons behind the development of bursitis. All these conditions promote the continuous irritation. It irritates the liquid sac overlaying the cap of knee (Patella) and causes knee pain inside. In some cases, patients experience knee swelling and knee pain below kneecap. This condition is termed as Perpatellar bursitis. The common name of this situation is “Preacher’s Knee” or “Housemaid’s Knee.” Now you can understand the origin of term bursitis derived from continuous kneeling.
The iliotibial band syndrome has emerged as a significant cause of knee pain from running. The iliotibial band is a collection of rigid tissue that has a route from hip to knee joint. It causes severe pain after the inflammation. The inflammation occurs when it is disturbed by any cause or health problem. This condition can be treated if diagnosed early. Chiropractors usually use exercises while orthopedics may recommend some medicines for the muscle relaxation in order to remove the factors disturbing the natural lineup of iliotibial band. Normally, the Iliotibial band syndrome is associated with the outer side of knee.
This condition is dangerous because of severe pain. It causes painful bumps in the knees. The major activity site of Osgood-Schlatter Disease is the tendon that is present to connect knee cap and shin. This disease occurs when a person overuses the tendon. In scientific term, the overuse of Tibial Tubercle is the main cause of Osgood-Schlatter Disease. However, this problem doesn’t create persistent pain in the knee. The pain caused by this disease may come and go after short intervals. The problem of Osgood-Schlatter Disease is more common young girls and boys.
It is a type of arthritis. This is among the most frequent causes of pain in inner knee. The Osteoarthritis is common among the non-athletes as well as athletes. However, it is not common in the teenagers or young people. The problem of Osteoarthritis starts after the age of 50.
e. Dislocated kneecap:
It is also called Patellar Dislocation. As the common name indicates, the kneecap dislocates from the original position. Simple sliding of kneecap from its natural lineup is termed as Patellar Dislocation. This condition is responsible for the development of inflammation and swelling in the knee. Continuous inflammation and swelling cause pain. This health issue can be treated with immediate exercises.
f. Patellofemoral pain syndrome:
This is a condition of muscle imbalance. As a matter of fact, there is a combination of muscles around the kneecap. The muscles have a tendency to support the movement because of flexibility and alignment. The knee develops inflammation and pain when this alignment and flexibility is disturbed. The Patellofemoral pain syndrome is a situation in which muscles become tight and imbalanced. This may be due to a physical injury. This health issue is common in the young girls.
g. Patellar tendonitis:
This is another form of inflammation. However, it surrounds the knee and covers the tendons. Normally, the overuse of tendons is the main cause Patellar tendonitis. This condition doesn’t last for longer but immediate treatment is necessary in order to avoid the effects of inflammation.
This occurs during the climbing process. People who normally use stairs and walking upsides or upstairs have more chances of Tendinitis. It develops pain in front of knee. This issue is more common in the general public because it matches with their lifestyle (Office workers).
It is a type of arthritis. This develops when the amount of uric acid increases in the body. Therefore, uric acid should be monitored regularly. Remember, gout doesn’t show any symptoms except pain in knee that’s why it is recommended to check the level of uric acid on regular basis.
j. Baker’s cyst:
This is related to the increase in Synovial Fluid. It is an important fluid that has a function to lubricate the bone joints. The Baker’s cyst is considered dangerous for the pain in knee joint especially on the backside of the knee.
k. Rheumatoid arthritis:
As the name indicates, it is a phase of arthritis. This may be present in athletes as well as non-athletes. The Rheumatoid arthritis is responsible for the development of chronic pain or inflammation. This also causes swelling in the joints. This problem is given more attention because severe conditions may develop bone erosion and deformity. Immediate actions are required to treat the Rheumatoid arthritis in order to avoid the major losses.
l. Meniscus Tears:
This is a tear that may be present in the ligaments. Remember, there are four ligaments in the knee and Meniscus Tears could damage any ligament. The most common stage of Meniscus Tears is Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL). ACL causes severe pain and further issues in the knee.
m. Bone Tumor:
Nowadays, the Bone Tumor is very serious. It has become second most common cause of icd 9 knee pain. It has been noticed that Bone Tumor is increasing worldwide. The osteosarcoma is a frequently known bone cancer and it is the major cause of pain in knee. Treatment of Bone Tumor is considered difficult. The biggest reason why it is more dangerous because it deteriorates the knee joints and bones.
Elements that make knee pain more dangerous:
We have learned about the common and important causes of knee pain after running. Now it is necessary to see some important factors that may double the impact of this issue. According to the chiropractors and orthopedics, there are plenty of factors playing significant role to increase this pain.
– Injuries to knee: This is a broad term. It is related to the injury or damage to any part or side of the knee. For example, knee cap damaged because of sudden slip or accident. In most of the cases the knee damage cause swelling and bleeding inside. Both situations can develop severe pain if left untreated. Proper treatment of the knee injury is necessary especially if there is bleeding. Some important factors are given here.
Strain or sprain.
Lack of warm up exercise.
Improper muscle stretching.
Various risk factors can enhance the chances of knee pain development. These risk factors include the following.
– Excess weight: Obesity or excess weight increases pressure on the knee joints. This pressure remains even during the normal activities such as walking. It is also responsible for the development of osteoarthritis.
– Muscle inflexibility: This is considered as lack of strength or inflexibility of the muscles. It is among the most common cause of knee problems. Extra tight or rigid muscles put more pressure on the knee joint creating pain. It is necessary to consider the muscle flexibility in order to avoid the pain.
– Certain sports: Sports or gaming activities are also responsible for the knee injuries. Games such as swimming, racing, jumping or alpine skiing cause serious troubles for the people. It is recommended to avoid these sports if you have been diagnosed with minor knee injuries.
Symptoms of knee pain:
Knowledge about the symptoms always assists the patients to learn about the specific issues. There is a general saying that early or timely knee pain diagnosis helps to eliminate the issue in a better way. Symptoms can be judged easily. Most of the symptoms have been discussed above. Normally, the causes show some signs and these are considered symptoms. However, there are some general symptoms of this problem.
a. Constant ache:
Remember, pain is a big indicator of problem. Pain in any part of body shows something wrong. Those who feel constant ache in the knee should contact with the doctor immediately. People with sports background should not take it easy. Athletes have higher chances of back of knee pain if they are feeling constant ache.
b. Dull burning:
It is a type of discomfort. Normally, it doesn’t affect the routine activities but it is an early sign of knee joint issue. People who feel knee pain at night should focus on the dull burning. This discomfort starts when minor issues start with the knee muscles, joints or bones.
c. Sharp pain:
Well, if you have sharp inside knee pain then there is a need to visit the orthopedic. Sharp pain in the knee may have different reasons. It could be due to dislocation of kneecap, muscle tightness or aftereffect of any physical injury.
How to diagnose knee pain?
Early diagnosis is essential to get rid of knee pain. Those who are thinking how to get rid of knee pain should settle an appointment with the doctor. Several types of tests are conducted for the identification of knee problems. Normally, the doctors suggest a single method as an initial investigation. The selection of diagnosis method also depends on the severity of case. Patients with roadside accidents are examined physically and they are sent for MRI or other modern tests in order to learn about the injuries immediately. The best control or treatment can be applied if the problem is diagnosed correctly. Complications may create troubles in the process of healing. Following methods are commonly used for the diagnosis to get knee pain relief.
It is not necessary to take all these tests for the diagnosis. Your doctor will choose any single method depending on the case severity. In most of the cases, physical examination is considered enough and it gives good results. However, the doctor may need MRI or CT Scans if he is expecting further issues. It is also recommended to take high care in the matter of diagnosis. It would be better if you visit another surgeon for the second opinion. This will tell you about the risk factors. The people who have been recommended MRI or CT Scans are required to take appointments as soon as possible.
What to do after diagnosis?
Have you been diagnosed with knee pain icd 9? Now you have to wait for the decision or report generated by the physician. In most of the cases general physicians recommend the patients to qualified orthopedics or chiropractors. This happens whether the knee injury is minor or severe. Remember, the general physicians never treat the fractures and broken bones. This is why it is required to wait for the report. Following actions are normally recommended by the physicians.
This is necessary in order to avoid further damage. This method is considered an initial treatment for the knee injury. It has been observed that initial bandage keeps the bones straight and helps to avoid further damage. Temporary bandage is suitable for the minor injuries.
This is a first aid treatment method. It is applied to the broken bones. In most of the situations, the plasters are applied by the doctors at hospitals. However, this plaster is also considered temporary because it is removed by the orthopedics for the further treatment.
Avoid walking and driving:
People with damaged knee should avoid walking around. They should also avoid driving because it involves movement of legs. It would be better to take rest completely until the swelling or inflammation is reduced.
Take pain killers:
Pain killers are normally given in order to reduce the knee pain. In most of the cases the medication is recommended by the orthopedics and surgeons. The dose of pain killers is suggested according to the condition of patient.
These are used to keep the kneecap or bone straight. Wraps and pads also help to keep the injured portion warm. These things also protect the treated areas from the coldness and water.
Keep visiting your doctor:
It is required to visit the doctor regularly. Actually, it is necessary to get step by step reports about the healing. You can share the complications related to treatments, exercises or prevention methods recommended by the physicians.
Treatments for knee pain:
Different types of treatments have been introduced by the chiropractors and orthopedics. The surgeons are performing operations such as knee replacement. Knee pain treatment should be selected according to the present condition. There is no need to choose surgery until it is necessary. Natural methods should be preferred rather than surgery. However, surgery is the last option for the issues that can’t be treated with other methods.
Partial knee replacement:
According to the national health reports, one out of five Americans has the knee problem. No doubt, there are different kinds of problems related to knee present in the country but the severity of knee problem is very high. Partial knee replacement has emerged as a vital knee pain treatment for the people who don’t have other options. The partial knee replacement becomes important especially in case of following situations.
– Kneecap broken.
– Broken Knee bone.
– Damaged completely.
The surveys conducted in United State of America suggest that success rate of partial knee replacement is very high. However, this method is the last option when other knee pain relief methods fail. This method has some advantages. Actually, it helps to maintain the functioning of knee by replacing the damaged portion. On the other hand, the ligaments and other parts are conserved by reducing the pressure created by the broken piece of bone. In most of the cases, surgeons ask the patients to visit on monthly basis. This helps the patients as well as surgeons to learn about the progress of knee after the surgery.
Is it suitable for arthritis treatment?
Basically, the knee replacement was invented to control the arthritis. Patients with arthritis can get maximum benefits of this technology. People who are not obese can take this surgery in order to correct the functioning of knee. On the other hand, this surgery is not suitable for the people who have stiffed muscles or any type of deformity. Surgeons don’t consider partial knee replacement to treat the rheumatoid arthritis. Suitability to choose the partial knee replacement depends on the type of case. The doctors always prefer to choose the right person or candidate for the surgery in order to take the advantage of this technology in true manner.
Selfcare methods for knee pain include:
– Take Rest: Taking a break from the daily routines or activities will give you a chance to heal the injury, limiting the pain and development of further inflammation. In most of the cases the orthopedics recommends bed rest to cover the injury. Rest for one or two days will be enough for minor knee problem while you will need to have a long period of rest to heal the major injury.
– Use Ice: It can reduce inflammation and pain gradually. Take a frozen bag of peas and use it for massage. It will cover the knee completely. In order to protect the skin, you can also pack the ice in a towel. No doubt, ice therapy has efficient results but longer exposure can damage the skin tissues and nerves.
– Knee Compression Sleeve : This assists to avoid fluid increase in the damaged tissues. It also maintains the alignment of knee and improves the stability. Always prefer a compression bandage having lightweight structure, increased adhesiveness and breathable surface. The bandage should be tight enough to grab the knee strongly.
– Elevation: This can reduce swelling. Elevation is also helpful to keep the leg and knee alignment in a perfect shape.
– Take support: You can keep a stick to have support. Nowadays, sophisticated knee supporting devices are available in the markets. Bring these devices in order to keep your knee covered with a support.
How to avoid knee pain?
You can avoid it a little but not all. Minor pain or injury cases can be handled or avoided but it is hard to avoid the chronic pain. There are several things one can do to stop pain. Let’s see how to stop the pain by using some natural methods.
The first thing you have to focus on is your lifestyle. What are your habits and routines? You need to focus on the specific things assisting or adding in pain development. Following approaches can help you to improve lifestyle.
o Warm up each time before exercise. You should be careful about the exercises. Remember, you are struggling with knee pain running that’s why high care is required.
o Stretching the quadriceps as well as hamstrings.
o Use low-impact exercises.
o Avoid heavy games such as tennis, bicycling or swimming.
o If you want to use high-impact exercises as per routine then make efforts to decrease the pressure gradually.
o Lose weight. Your weight is biggest factor causing knee pain after running.
o Avoid putting extra pressure on knee.
It is also recommended to get support. You can change your shoes in order to improve the body posture. People with gait issue should check the recommended shoes. Change the current shoes if you are not comfortable. Wrong shoe selection is a big reason why body posture is disturbed.
Although it is tough to avoid pain in back of knee, the given suggestions can assist obviate injuries as well as the joint deterioration.
– Reduce the extra weight: Focus on the body weight. Reducing or managing the body weight is a great approach you can use to avoid the knee pain. The extra weight is responsible for the knee deterioration and it increases the risk of knee injuries such as osteoarthritis.
– Get warm up before sports: To get ready for the sports it is necessary to prepare your muscles. The fitness trainers usually recommend taking additional time for the body conditioning. Get the guidance of any trainer in order to make sure that your approach or technique is absolutely favorable for the knee health.
– Practice perfectly: Improve the practices and techniques. Ensure that all the techniques or activities related to sports are accurate. Try to have a proper training session at gym or fitness center.
– Get stronger but flexible: Remember, weak muscles are main cause of knee injuries. You need to focus on the strength of your muscles. You are suggested to improve the body structure and shape in order to support the knee. Balanced diet and workout at gyms can be more helpful to achieve the targets. On the other hand, stiffed muscles are also dangerous for the knee health that’s why you should try to keep the muscles flexible.
– Be smart when choosing exercises: In case of osteoarthritis, recurring injuries and chronic knee pain, the exercises should be changed. Prefer the low impact activities or exercises in order to support the knee. You can also get consultation about the exercises and workouts with low impact status to manage the pain.
Exercises for knee pain:
There are so many exercises to maintain the body fitness. You can get rid of knee pain with the help of some easy exercises. It would be better to use recommended exercises for knee pain. Some approved exercises are given below.
– Chair knee extension: Rest your feet on an elevated table or another chair while sitting. You have to keep the knee raised. Now utilize one leg muscle and bring the leg down to the floor. Keep it there for 10 seconds and then release. This exercise should be repeated at least 5 times a day.
– Knee extension (heel slide): This exercise needs patience. Lie on back and bent the left knee while keeping the left foot on the floor. Now move the foot away and maintain this position for at least 10 seconds before releasing. At least 5 repetitions are enough for one leg.
– Knee flexion: Sit on the chair and cover your leg with a towel. Now pull the knees down and put little force. Don’t exert heavy pressure. Five repetitions for each leg are enough.
– Hamstring stretch: Keep the toes up while standing on one leg. Maintain the body balance while keeping the raised foot in your hands. This practice is very important to create flexibility in knee muscles. Exercise for knee pain should be used with proper practice. Contact with your trainer or fitness expert in case of any confusion.
– Wild slide: This is a practice of leaning with the back while using wall as a support. You have to create an angle of 30 degree with a bended knee. Always maintain the level of feet and legs. Repeat the wild slide for five times a session.
– Bent leg raise: Take a chair and sit. Raise one leg in air while keeping the second on floor. Don’t lock the knee when raising the leg. Hold your leg in air for 1 minute and release. You can adjust the time according to your capacity.
Read more information about pain relief solution.